Green Manifesto 2010 Foreign Policy and Defence
Respecting the international
• Take the troops out of Afghanistan. It is now absolutely clear that our security has been compromised, not improved, by our part in the counterproductive invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan. We believe that the best way forward is a regional peace process involving all the Afghan people and the countries in the region.
Green Party Leader Caroline Lucas has spoken out against Israel’s longstanding campaign of ‘collective punishment’ against the people of Gaza, which cuts off the flow of fuel, commercial and humanitarian supplies, profoundly affects the region’s water and sanitation system, and is responsible for the suffering of over 860,000 vulnerable people.
The EU’s Association Agreement with Israel is expressly dependent on both sides respecting basic human rights. Despite persistent breaches, these clauses have never been invoked. Caroline says ‘Under these circumstances, the EU’s Association Agreement with Israel must be immediately suspended. Suspending the trade agreement and attaching the necessary conditions to any future trade policy with Israel would allow the EU an opportunity to play a significant role in bringing peace and stability to the Middle East.’
• Not attack Iran. Iran’s genuine security concerns must be properly addressed, and military intervention would be counterproductive.
• As preconditions of continued favourable trading relations, oblige Israel to end the siege of Gaza, stop settlement expansion and commit to ending the occupation. We recognise that peace will be only be achieved when the principal peacemakers adopt a less one-sided approach.
• Not replace Trident.We cannot conceive of any circumstances in which we would use these expensive and immoral weapons; we would decommission the existing system and not renew it.
• Otherwise reduce defence expenditure, partly by withdrawing from Afghanistan, and by reviewing the need for certain expensive weapons systems, but always ensuring that where our forces are committed they are properly equipped.
Copyright ©, The Green Party, 1a Waterlow Road, London N19 5NJ. All rights reserved. Any rights not expressly granted herein are reserved.