Green Manifesto 2010 Local Services
Promoting localism, efficiency and access
• Reopen those Post Offices that misguided Government policy has shut down, and eventually increase their number. We would set aside £1bn per year to subsidise the local Post Office network.
• Encourage a new, local and mutual financial sector, based on trust rather than greed, and including community banks,credit unions, local exchange schemes and local currencies. We would provide initial funding of £2.5bn over the next Parliament to assist communities in setting up such a network.
• End ‘contracting out’ and the Private Finance Initiative (PFI). Restore the idea of commitment to public trades and industries. Dedicated staff providing a public service are much more likely to deliver a good service than agency staff with poor work contracts and a high turnover.
• Support local shops through planning policies including business conservation areas, ensuring basic shops are available within walking distance in all urban areas and restricting the power of supermarkets.
• Preserve smaller local schools and libraries, hospitals and other health facilities.
• Ensure that public transport provides access to local facilities.
• Support local markets giving access to local food.
• Encourage local live performance in the arts by moving funding from the regional to the local level and modifying regulations so that small-scale live performance in pubs and similar venues is not stifled.
Copyright ©, The Green Party, 1a Waterlow Road, London N19 5NJ. All rights reserved. Any rights not expressly granted herein are reserved.