Green Manifesto 2010 Terrorism and the causes of terrorism
The Green Party condemns the indiscriminate use of violence to achieve political ends, and especially the targeting of civilians. We believe that the normal processes of criminal investigation and law should be used against the perpetrators of such attacks.
Terrorist attacks in the UK are linked to our invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan, and we believe that part of the ultimate solution lies in a just overall settlement in the Middle East. We believe that the overwhelming majority of UK Muslims oppose such attacks, and we condemn the scapegoating of the Muslim community. We oppose the way the Government has used the attacks to introduce ever more draconian measures that undermine all our civil liberties, and would end the use of control orders, restrict pre-charge detention of terrorist suspects to 7 days and end the policy of ‘Deportation with Assurances’ (which can result in torture).
• Act to reduce arms sales worldwide by ending Government support for and subsidies of arms exports, including through UK Trade & Investment’s Defence & Security Organisation and the Export Credits Guarantee Department.
•Press for successful negotiations over a robust and comprehensive global Arms Trade Treaty.
• Use skills and resources at present tied up in military industry in the UK to create new jobs and produce socially useful products, especially in the renewable energy sector.
• Not participate in the US missile defence system, and leave NATO.
• Recognise the importance of civil society organisations and of a free press worldwide and their role in promoting transparency, democracy, good governance and fighting corruption.
• Reform the UN and other international institutions.The current structure of the UN Security Council, with permanent seats for France, the UK, the US, Russia and China, is made undemocratic and often impotent by the right to veto. Poor countries in particular need better representation. We will work to reform the United Nations by abolishing all permanent seats on the Security Council and introducing decision-making by majority vote.
Copyright ©, The Green Party, 1a Waterlow Road, London N19 5NJ. All rights reserved. Any rights not expressly granted herein are reserved.